Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Road to Ensenada Begins Here

It was a great weekend for the new race car project. On Friday, Jon hauled the now-stripped Toyota out to Jim's shop. Saturday, I flew out to Jim's and the three of us discussed the upcoming fabrication plans and some of the hard-parts that we'll be ordering. The big winner here is the budget! We finalized the suspension plans and saved a lot of weight and dough. Also, we found out that the front axle shafts that were going to cost $800, are only $150 when you know what to ask for at the auto parts store. Granted, the $150 shafts don't articulate as much, but that won't be an issue with the way we will limit the suspension travel. Also, we deleted the additional shocks and bump stops to save even more weight and money.

The roll cage tubing should be at Jim's this week and when I go back in a few weeks to remove the engine (and rebuild it here), the roll cage should be well under way.

Jon and I made the drive back through The Peoples Repubik de Kalifornia without interference from The Empire. Damn, I dislike that state. How can a state suspend item 2 from The Bill of Rights?

The gun show on Saturday morning was pretty good, but much smaller than the last one. I had a list of must-haves in order for me to shoot me first competition this week. Fortunately, I got everything, but still, I didn't have time to just wander around and see what else was there. I'm gonna be at Jim's when the next one happens, so I'll have to give some money to a friend to bring back some ammo (this town is practically devoid of 9mm ammunition).

That's all I have for now; have a great week!