Saturday, March 28, 2009

Engine Room

The 15 second video shown below is what I used to think of as as Engine Room. It's where I worked at the South Pole...


Now, a room about the same size as where I slept during the winter of '08 at the South Pole, is what I consider an engine room. Due to an accute lack of space, I am building the engine for my new race car in my storage unit. Picture number 1 is of the block, in primer, after it was returned from the machine shop...

Below is the way the engine looks after a day and a half of work. In spite of some extreme OCD (new reality TV show?) methods of retaining all the various nuts and bolts, I've managed to misplace 2 head bolts...WAIT A MINUTE! I've just now realized where they are! Anyway, it's painted in Cummins Green in an attempt to coax the very last Newton-Meter of torque out of this measley 2.7 litre motor. Hopefully, the truck will be back in town in about 2 weeks. That will be mucho work. This blog should liven-up once it's here.






If you look very carefully, you will see a very small white dot which is actually a 2'x3' white target 200 yards away. We were trying to have a good time blasting away, but the 30 mph winds, which blew over the target, made anything more than 8 shots impossible. Hmmm, you can't see much in this picture...The tripod on the left is a terrible Winchester spotting scope (45x 60mm). It's nearly worthless. The item on the right of the shooting mat is my Savage Model 12 F-Class Open target rifle. Local competition with the rifle begins in a week.