Thursday, June 12, 2008

Alright Already, I'm Awake!

It is 1:30pm here right now; which means I should be sound asleep. However, they are testing the fire alarm system. And this time, they are using the bells installed in each room. There's no way to sleep through this. At least the internet is available at this hour.

Things are still going pretty good for me here (except the missing sleep as noted above). I was outside a few days ago helping to unload several dozen cases of beverages. It's amazing how fast this can be done when there's someone on nearly every step. It looked very military, and worked quite efficiently. Between vehicles, I was able look up and see an amazing aurora. This was very different from the ones I had seen previously. The edges were very defined. At first I thought it just the contrails from a passing aircraft. But then realized there is no reason for a plane to fly over the South Pole. Actually it looked like three contrails. My friend Ethan (blog linked at right) says the auroras can be bright enough to work-by sometimes. I have to question the sanity of anyone who works outside in the Antarctic winter.

We will be celebrating Mid-Winter next weekend. The festivities will include another concert. The band I am in, The re-Tardis, will perform 11 new songs (new since the April Polestock event). Please watch this blog for information on how YOU can listen to the gig LIVE.

I think they're done with the fire alarms...back to sleep...hopefully.