I've been busy at work too. It's just one of those things where all the holes in the Swiss cheese line up and we're busy. This is nothing to complain about. We are well-equipped and so far, have had all the parts to keep things in good condition.
One change upstairs that I've noticed is that tempers are a little shorter, and patience can be in short supply. I'm hearing most of this second-hand as my sleep/work schedule does not allow for much interaction. So, I guess, "toastiness" is taking hold of a few residents. I still feel fine, and would have no qualms about returning here next February.
Tonight there is a chili cook-off followed by an open mic night in the lounge. Without a band, I am worthless as a musician, so I have volunteered to run the sound board.
In two weeks, we're having a low-budget (no lights or slide shows) concert. The new Irish band sounds great after just a few rehearsals. It's really a surprise how these songs that none of had ever heard before are coming to life and sounding a lot like the recordings. I think the occasion is that it's a 2-day weekend (for most of the population :-( ) and it will be mid-August. By then, we'll be counting the few remaining weeks until the Baslers begin to arrive with our relief crews. We'll also have another concert Sept 20 to celebrate the sunrise. What a change that will be! I've grown fairly accustom to walking outside at any time of "day" and it being dark. I guess in certain places in The States it gets this dark, but damn...
I'll try to get another video up tomorrow.
I must admit I'm one of the many people here thinking about what to do when we finally leave. I'm actually hoping to return here next February. If so, I'll attempt the Iron Butt Coast-to-Coast-to-Coast ride (San Diego to Jacksonville, FL and back) in 100 hours. I guess the rest depends on if I do actually return and when. It will be strange returning to "civilization" after being removed from it for so long. There's still much I don't miss about life up there. Traffic, graffitti, insects, fast food, FM radio. I could go a long, long time without any of that. However, I do miss dogs, motorcycling, Teakwoods chicken wings, 24-hour internet, SVS home theater subwoofers, heat, the desert, and friends and family. I guess it's all a sacrifice in the name of SCIENCE (cue Thomas Dolby).