Sunday, September 21, 2008

Into The Light

I woke up at 7:30pm to take in the Sunday Select Cinema movie "Equilibrium". As I rounded the corner into the Galley to fill up my water bottle, I was assulted by an unexpected sight...Direct sunlight into my eyes. Imagine my surprise. 

After the movie, several of us just sat in the Galley and stared into the golden glow. 

Our sun is different than yours. Whereas you are accustom to the sun rising and setting, we have grown used to the sun slowly spiraling up from the horizon to about 25° above at the peak of summer. 



Saturday, four bands played at the "Mother of Polestock" / "Sunrise Celebration" in the Amundsen-Scott South Pole gym. The event went off very well. However, our audiance seemed half asleep. They did dance during several songs, but on the songs they didn't dance to, we could hear the last note of the song echo around the room for what seemed like 45 minutes before the most tepid of obligatory responses eminated from our fellow residents. But, we understand. We're late into a South Pole winter and the Baslers are due soon. 

Seven weeks to go.