Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Basler 1, 2008

I am giving serious consideration to recommending that "October" is changed to "Basler". The Baslers will be here this month. We are about 23 days from seeing the first "new" people since February. The lists of who's due to be on those flights has been posted and it's nice to recognize some of those names. 

I have exchanged some email with friends about the "countdown" to our departure from the South Pole. In reading their words, it sounded like I am waiting out a prison sentence. I don't see it this way. To me, it's like waiting for the last few days of high school to expire. High school was OK, but what made it worth counting down was that the future was wide open and just days away.

We did our last fire drill yesterday. The next time we hear that awful sound (hopefully), we will be training our replacements.

I would like to be uploading some pictures, but for some reason Google won't let me.