Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fly-By, Fly-In

Yesterday as I reported, we had a fly-by of an FAA-operated Challenger biz-jet. I'm not sure why they were here...There is no American civilian air traffic here. I hope they had fun. The South Pole telescopes are in the background. Here's a photo taken by C. Allen:
Today, the Basler finally arrived from the English Rothera base. On my way to snap some photos, I hit the wrong button and made a video instead of a still..It's below.










Here are some still shots:Above: The Winter ground crew stretches out the fueling rig so that this fine aircraft gets the gas to make it to McMurdo. The exhaust plume from the power plant is in the background.

Above: Refueling in progress.

Below: This is the magic. This aircraft flew from Calgary, Canada via North America, Central America, and South America to Rothera, Antarctica with standard landing gear. At Rothera, they installed the skis which do retract somewhat to reduce drag.