Yep. 365 days since I left the desert of Arizona for the desert of Antarctica. And with a revised departure date in hand (weather permitting), thoughts and plans are focused on resuming life from this year-long sabbatical from The World. Emails and occasional phone calls from friends and family have proven more important to me than I thought a year ago. The racing, the airplanes, the just hanging out. I think I will value the new times even more than the past. If I take away nothing else from this place, I will know that my friends and family are of supreme importance and the time spent with these people will be valued like never before.
Similarly, the friends I have made here are like family too. I hope through blogs, emails, and even visits we can stay in touch and remember the good times in that cold and dark place. My band-mates are like brothers and we are now focused on preparations for our final concert Nov 7. Many of our friends from last summer will be returning, and I think they will be shocked at the quality of the performance we will provide. One thing we will have that I think no other South Pole bands have ever offered is a good-quality CD. The recording sessions are complete, and I have begun mixing and mastering the music. Again, the final product will be amazingly good. Once complete, I'll host the CD and MP3 files on my website http://www.thefrozendesert.com/ which just links back to this blog for now.
Most of us are counting weeks now. If you're keeping score at home, the number is 5.