Friday, December 7, 2007

December 7th

It's December 7th in The States today. The anniversary of an event in American history which was not rivaled until September 11, 2001. I wonder if American school children are still taught about the events of December 7, 1941. Heck, I wonder if they're even taught about September 11, 2001. The attack on Pearl Harbor happened decades before I was born, yet these events have been retold in books and movies ever since. I feel well aware of much of what happened. The heroism of the Americans who fought bravely on that day and the years after will never be forgotten. I am also glad that after that attacker was crushed, we were able to forge a new relationship with Japan which has survived more than 50 years profitting both nations.

It is my hope that those who attacked (or enabled the attack) on September 11, 2001 will also be crushed. As for a future relationship, it remains to be seen if that attacker will rise above, as the Japanese did, or continue to wallow in their hate and ignorance.

Although I've said it before (recently), I'll say it again: If you know a veteran...THANK THEM! Cold Warriors included (KR)!!!

What does this have to do with life at The Pole? Nothing really, it was just the first thing on my mind this morning.