Sunday, December 9, 2007

Weekend Summary

This was my first weekend as a day-shifter. There seemed to be a lot going on. Of course, we work 10 hours/day, 6 days/week, so nothing really gets started until Saturday evening. Late Saturday night I joined some of my grave-shift friends for a game of Settlers. This time, I played very poorly. We didn't start until about 1:30am Sunday; I had been awake since 6am Saturday. The game finished around 3am Sunday. I then slept like a rock until 11am Sunday. After the Sunday brunch, I picked up the Les Paul for an hour or so until the 1:30pm Fire Brigade tour of the Power Plant.

I met the rest of the Fire Brigade at the Power Plant to begin the tour at 1:30pm. There is a lot of information to cover down here. The group was attentive and I hope they retain all the info I threw at them. Really, I hope they never have to use any of this information!

After the Power Plant tour, we went through the Elevated Station. It was interesting to see some of the rooms containing the glycol heating system. The Station tour concluded in the galley. There was an art show in the galley at this time. Some of the residents here were showing/selling their artwork, jewelry, and photographs. The Ice Cube crew were giving free tee-shirts away here. Ice Cube is one of the biggest projects here.

After dinner, there was the usual science lecture. For some reason, I keep missing these. It might have something to do with that fact that many of the presenters feed their families by catering to AlGore's fantasy.

Finally, Sunday Night Pub Trivia! I have been wanting to participate in this for some time now, but my grave-shift schedule did not permit. Being a walking store-house of useless information, I felt I would be a natural for this event. Unfortunately, one of the 4 topics was "The Simpsons". I have not watched any network television series for many years now, and The Simpsons was never a show I watched regularly. I did OK during the music audio clue section, but there a few artists/songs that I don't think anyone got right. I may try to put together a list of questions that will hopefully stump last nights' presenter as much as many of us were stumped. I don't think any of the three teams had a perfect round. Perhaps I could have topics such as:

  • Motorcycles with engine displacement greater than 2291cc's

  • Caterpillar 3512B preventive maintenance schedules

  • Great moments in America West Airlines history

  • G3 guitarists