The bossman left yesterday. It's just Anthony and me running the Power Plant for now. One of the guys who will stay the winter arrives in a few days. Anthony will leave in late February and the 3rd Winterover will get here about the same time. He's been working at McMurdo since August, and will stay here until November '08.
I received another package from my family yesterday! What a great thing! I was walking down the hall and someone informed me of the parcel. More great stuff! I am now very comfortable here. Towels, sheets, blankets, toothpaste, extra clothes, Diet Coke, etc. What else do I need?
This morning (7am) I gave an introductory slide guitar lesson to one of our heavy equipment operators. I slept well, but was not fully awake at this hour! Slide guitar is not something I have a great deal of experience with, so it did not take long to transfer all my knowledge on the subject to the student.
Tonight, the 'new' band meets to finalize our set list for New Years. The 'old' band pretty much disintegrated when I went to the swing-shift schedule. Now that I'm on day-shift, the 'old' bass player has gone to night-shift. The new band features a very talented bass player who has an excellent ear and good musical instinct. We also have a singer. It's such a relief to not have to think about singing! We are still in need of a name. I suggested "Beer Plugs". Sounds like "ear plugs" (which is a really good idea when we're playing), and also conjures the image of beer goggles (if you don't know what beer goggles are, please don't ask me).
[Big risk]: I'll be accepting suggestions for band names via the "comments" link below. Note: I can receive these comments even when our normal internet is down.
After the band meeting, I have a Fire Brigade meeting. We will be practicing getting our equipment on/off as well as discussing an upcoming 'mass casualty incident' drill. I am told this drill will require much more of our involvement than the last one. Ahhh, there's nothing like strapping-on 50lbs of fire-fighting gear and practicing hauling bodies from place-to-place at 10,000 feet of altitude. Regardless of the inevitable sweat, it's good practice, and I think monthly drills are a good idea.
Special hello to The Literary Club of Torchlake, Michigan! Thanks for the card and well-wishes! Read-on.