Sunday, December 16, 2007

Play on Saturday, Pay on Monday

Another good weekend has passed us by here. The festivities started Saturday evening with James Brown Bingo II. This time, our host had his face painted by one of the girls here. And, he was assisted by our winter site manager who looked amazing in her skua-found dress! As usual, I got within a square or two of winning, but never won. Here's James and Katie in mid-BINGO:

Afterward, I played 'my old friend' the Les Paul until I broke a string (about an hour). Then, off to the new Electronics Repair Lounge for a movie. This new 'lounge' is the electronics repair shop with 5.1 surround, an OK subwoofer (it's no SVS!) and a projector. There were only 3 of us in there watching "The Final Fantasy", an animated sci-fi movie that was not very good at all. It was about 2am when I finally went to bed. <-------- And, that is the problem.

The late bedtime caused me to sleep until noon on Sunday! As soon as I saw the clock, I knew I wouldn't be sleeping well Sunday night.

Sunday started with band practice at 1pm. We finally decided on a set-list, and learned 3 more songs. We blasted through the first 3 songs we learned, and added the next three. It was a very productive session. We only have 3 or 4 more rehearsals until the New Years gig. While we were practicing, the door opened and we were introduced to an Irish team who had just skied to The Pole. These guys were in good spirits, and showed only mild signs of frost bite on their faces. No visitors are allowed to stay in the station, so these guys are camped outside about 100 yards "north" of our galley; about 50 yards from The Pole.

After dinner, I tool a nap; what a bad idea! When I woke up, I headed down to the Elelctronics Lounge to find The Big Lebowski was on. I stayed in there to watch this movie for the 2nd time in 2 weeks. The grave shift screening had much more life to it! This ended at 9pm, just in time for Sunday Night Pub Trivia.

I thought after last weeks' "The Simpsons" category (where I scored 0.0), surely this week I would put some points on the board for my team. Nope. The first category was trivia from the "X-Men" movies. Although I have all three on my hard drive, I've never seen any of them. Another 0.0 for me. I will have my revenge next Sunday! I have already composed my 40 question round. Non-geeks need not apply!

Then, off to bed where I stared at the ceiling until I finally nodded-off at about 5am. The alarm went off at 7am. Luckily, my partner Anthony has left the Power Plant in great shape. And, our new-guy, James, shows-up at about 11:20am today.